KANSAS STATE (5-13, 1-8 Large 12) at 23/22 KANSAS (11-6, 5-4 Large 12)
294th Dillons Sunflower Showdown
Tuesday, February 2, 2021 >> 7:01 p.m. CT >> Allen Fieldhouse (16,300) >> Lawrence, Kan.
Dillons Sunflower Showdown
Okay-State and Kansas will meet for the 294th time in a rivalry that dates to 1907. It’s the sixth-most performed
rivalry and eighth-most repeatedly performed in NCAA Division I historical past.
Large 12 Now / WatchESPN
- Ted Emrich (play-by-play)
- Lance Blanks (analyst)
- Evan Cohen (producer)
Okay-State Sports activities Community
Flagships: // KMAN 1350 & WIBW 580
XM 383 // Web 973
On-line: TuneIn.com [free] / www.kstatesports.com/watch [free]
kansas.statbroadcast.com [media only]
Allen Fieldhouse might be open to roughly 1,500 followers. There aren’t any single-game tickets accessible.
Kansas State: Bruce Weber (Wis.-Milwaukee ’78)
Total: 479-278/23rd season
At Okay-State: 166-123/9th season
vs. Kansas: 3-17 (0-8 on the street)
Kansas: Invoice Self (Oklahoma State ’85)
Total: 719-220/28th season
Report at Kansas: 512-115/18th season
vs. Okay-State: 35-6 (16-1 at dwelling)
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP
Kansas State (5-13)
G: #21 Nijel Pack
G: #00 Mike McGuirl
G: #3 DaJuan Gordon
F: #1 Kaosi Ezeagu
F: #21 Davion Bradford
G: #0 Marcus Garrett
G: #2 Christian Braun
G: #30 Ochai Agbaji
F: #10 Jalen Wilson
F: #33 David McCormack
Total: Kansas leads 199-94
Present Streak: Kansas, 3
In Large 12 Play: Kansas leads 52-6
In Lawrence: Kansas leads 91-35
At Allen Fieldhouse: Kansas leads 49-17
Final Assembly: L, 58-62 [2/29/20 in Manhattan, Kan.]
Weber vs. Self: 4-18 [0-9 in Lawrence, Kan.]
- Kansas State (5-13, 1-8 Large 12) opens the month of February with a brief journey down I-70 to resume its longstanding rivalry with No. 23/22 Kansas (11-6, 5-4 Large 12) within the 294th version of the Dillons Sunflower Showdown on Tuesday at Allen Fieldhouse. It’s the sixth-most performed rivalry (293) and eighth-most repeatedly performed (114) in NCAA Division I historical past. Tuesday’s recreation will air on Large 12 Now with Ted Emrich (play-by-play) and Lance Blanks (analyst) on the decision.
- This would be the Wildcats’ sixth matchup towards a Prime 25 opponent this season, together with the primary of three in a row (No. 23/22 Kansas, No. 13/11 Texas Tech and No. 6/6 Texas). Okay-State has misplaced 10 straight towards ranked opponents, together with 3 straight to a ranked Jayhawk squad, whereas the Wildcats have suffered 7 consecutive defeats to ranked groups on the street courting to 2019. Okay-State is 119-267 all-time vs. ranked opponents, which features a 5-5 mark vs. the AP’s No. 23 ranked squad. Head coach Bruce Weber has a school-record 26 profession wins towards Prime 25 foes.
- Okay-State enters the month of a February on an 8-game dropping streak after struggling a 68-61 loss to Texas A&M on Saturday afternoon within the eighth annual SEC/Large 12 Problem collection. In a good recreation marked by 8 lead adjustments and 4 ties within the second half, it was the extra skilled Aggie squad that was capable of pull out the victory. Down 58-55 with 1:47 to play, Texas A&M outscored Okay-State, 13-3, down the stretch, together with 11 consecutive makes from the free throw line. The Aggies related on simply 40.8 % (20-of-49) from the sector, however outscored the Wildcats, 22-5, from the free throw line, connecting on 84.6 % (22-of-26) from the charity stripe, together with 90 % (18-of-20) within the second half.
- The loss spoiled a close to historic efficiency by freshman Nijel Pack, who scored a season-high 26 factors on 9-of-16 discipline targets, together with an 8-of-14 effort from 3-point vary, to go along with 5 assists, 3 rebounds and three steals in simply his second recreation again from lacking 4 video games resulting from COVID-19 protocols. The 26 factors have been probably the most by a Okay-State freshman since Marcus Foster scored 34 towards Texas in 2014. Pack’s eight 3-point discipline targets tied for the second-most in class historical past and are the most-ever by a Wildcat freshman. The efficiency is simply surpassed by Askia Jones’ school-record 14 towards Fresno State on March 24, 1994 within the Postseason NIT.
- Okay-State is predicted to with out the companies of sophomore DaJuan Gordon, who performed simply 5 minutes towards Texas A&M on Saturday after leaving with an harm. Seven Wildcats have mixed to overlook 50 video games this season resulting from both harm or COVID-19 associated protocols, whereas solely senior Mike McGuirl has began all 18 video games.
- Okay-State has began 3 true freshmen (Davion Bradford, Selton Miguel and Nijel Pack) in 7 video games, together with 4 Large 12 video games, whereas at the least 2 true freshmen have began every of the final 12 video games. The Wildcats are one in every of 6 groups to start out at the least 3 true freshmen in at the least one recreation, whereas the 39 mixed begins by true freshmen rank third nationally to Kentucky’s 45 and Washington State’s 40.
NOTES ON 23/22 KANSAS
- No. 23/21 Kansas (11-6, 5-4 Large 12) dropped its fourth recreation in its final 5 outings on Saturday evening with an 80-61 loss at No. 18/17 Tennessee, because the SEC was capable of clinch the SEC/Large 12 Problem collection, 5-4. The Jayhawks shot simply 37.7 % towards the stingy Volunteer protection, together with 26.9 % within the first half. Junior David McCormack led 3 gamers in double digits with a game-tying 17 factors, whereas senior Marcus Garrett added 15.
- Kansas is averaging 73.5 factors on 44.1 % capturing, together with 35.6 % from 3-point vary, to go along with 37.7 rebounds, 13.7 assists, 6.5 steals and 4.3 blocks per recreation, whereas permitting 68.2 factors on 42.1 % capturing, together with 35.6 % from 3-point vary. The workforce is connecting on 71.2 % from the free throw line. The Jayhawks are averaging 68.7 factors on 44.5 % capturing, together with 33.5 % from 3-point vary, in Large 12 play, whereas permitting 67.4 factors on 42.4 % capturing.
- At all times one of the crucial balanced groups within the nation, Kansas has 4 gamers averaging in double figures led by junior Ochai Agbaji’s 14.1 factors per recreation common on 41.8 % capturing, together with 38.9 % from 3-point vary. Agbaji leads the workforce with 44 3-pointers. Redshirt freshman Jalen Wilson averages 12.2 factors on 45.4 % capturing, whereas McCormack and Garrett common 12.0 and 10.2 factors per recreation. Wilson averages a team-best 7.1 rebounds, whereas Garrett has a team-high 58 assists.
- Kansas is led by Corridor of Fame head coach Invoice Self, who has posted a 512-115 (.817) report in his 18th season, which incorporates the 2008 nationwide title and three Last Fours. He’s 719-220 (.766) in his twenty eighth season as a head coach.
- Okay-State and Kansas will meet for the 294th time of their histories with the Jayhawks holding a 199-94 benefit in a collection that dates to 1907. Kansas is 91-35 all-time in video games performed in Lawrence, together with 49-17 at Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks are 52-6 all-time within the Large 12 period.
- Kansas swept each conferences final season, incomes an 81-60 win at dwelling on Jan. 21, 2020 earlier than a 62-58 win at Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 29, 2020. The Jayhawks have received 14 in a row at Allen Fieldhouse towards the Wildcats with the final win approaching 59-55 on Jan. 14, 2006.
- Head coach Bruce Weber is 3-17 all-time towards Kansas, together with a 0-8 report on the street, whereas he’s 4-18 towards head coach Invoice Self.
LAST TIME OUT: TEXAS A&M 68, Okay-STATE 61
- Texas A&M took benefit of its alternatives from the free throw line, together with 11 consecutive makes to finish the sport, because the Aggies earned a 68-61 win over Okay-State within the eighth annual SEC/Large 12 Problem on Saturday in entrance of a restricted capability crowd of 942 followers at Bramlage Coliseum.
- The loss spoiled a close to historic efficiency by freshman guard Nijel Pack, who scored a season-high 26 factors on 9-of-16 discipline targets, together with an 8-of-14 effort from 3-point vary, to go along with 5 assists, 3 rebounds and three steals in simply his second recreation again from lacking 4 video games resulting from COVID-19 protocols. Pack’s 26 factors are probably the most by a Okay-State freshman since Marcus Foster scored 34 towards Texas in 2014.
- Pack’s eight 3-point discipline targets tied for the second-most in a recreation in class historical past and are the most-ever by a Wildcat freshman. His 8 triples are solely surpassed by Askia Jones’ school-record 14 towards Fresno State on March 24, 1994, whereas Steve Henson (vs. Iowa State on Feb. 17, 1990) and Cortez Groves (vs. Texas A&M on March 23, 2000) additionally had 8 treys in a recreation.
- In a good recreation marked by 8 lead adjustments and 4 ties within the second half, it was the extra skilled Texas A&M workforce that was capable of pull out the win. Down 58-55 after Pack’s solely 2-point discipline purpose with 1:47 to play, the Aggies outscored the Wildcats, 13-3, down the stretch, together with 11 consecutive makes from the free throw line.
- Texas A&M packed the lane, limiting paint touches and hampering rookie large Davion Bradford, who entered the sport capturing 61 % from the sector. The Wildcats have been compelled into taking 35 3-point discipline targets – the fourth-most makes an attempt in a recreation in class historical past – making double-digit treys (10) for the primary time in Large 12 play. Nonetheless, Pack and senior Mike McGuirl (2) mixed for all 10 triples on 21 makes an attempt, whereas the remainder of the workforce was a mixed 0-of-14 from lengthy vary.
- Pack was joined in double figures by McGuirl, who completed with 10 factors on 4-of-10 capturing to go along with a game-high 6 assists, 3 rebounds and a pair of steals. Bradford was stable regardless of being restricted to three shot makes an attempt, ending with 9 factors, a team-high 7 rebounds and a pair of blocks, whereas sophomore reserve Antonio Gordon added 8 factors and 5 rebounds.
INJURIES, YOUTH DEFINE SEASON SO FAR FOR Okay-STATE
- Only a few groups within the nation have needed to take care of the combination of accidents, COVID-19 protocols and youth fairly like Okay-State has in 2020-21. Already one of many nation’s most inexperienced groups with simply 4 returning lettermen (solely 4 faculties have fewer) and 11 underclassmen (solely 6 faculties have extra), the Wildcats have seen 7 totally different gamers mixed to overlook 50 video games this season, whereas senior Mike McGuirl is the one participant to start out all 18 video games with 7 totally different beginning lineups.
GAMES MISSED IN 2020-21 
- Okay-State is one in every of simply 6 faculties nationally (Duke, Kentucky, James Madison, North Carolina and Washington State) to start out at the least 3 true freshmen in a single recreation this season, whereas the 39 mixed begins by Wildcat true freshmen are third to Kentucky’s 45 and WSU’s 40.
PACK OFF TO IMPRESSIVE START
- Freshman Nijel Pack got here up with a particular efficiency in Okay-State’s 68-61 loss to Texas A&M within the SEC/Large 12 Problem on Saturday afternoon, because the rookie scored a season-high 26 factors on 9-of-16 discipline targets, together with 8-of-14 from 3-point vary, to go along with 5 assists, 3 rebounds and three steals in simply his second recreation again from lacking 4 video games resulting from COVID-19 protocols.
- The 26-point effort was probably the most by a Wildcat true freshman since Marcus Foster scored 34 factors towards Texas on Feb. 8, 2014. The 8 3-pointers tie for the second-most in a recreation in class historical past and are the most-ever by a Wildcat freshman. His 8 treys are solely surpassed by Askia Jones’ school-record 14 towards Fresno State on March 24, 1994, whereas Steve Henson (vs. Iowa State on Feb. 17, 1990) and Cortez Groves (vs. Texas A&M on March 23, 2000) additionally had 8 treys in a recreation. It was his team-leading eighth recreation of at the least 5 assists, whereas he tied his season-high with 3 steals.
- The efficiency continues what has been a formidable begin to his rookie season in Manhattan, as he ranks amongst workforce leaders in a number of classes, together with scoring (11.8 ppg./1st), double-digit scoring video games (8/third), discipline targets made (63/2nd), 3-point discipline targets made (32/2nd), assists (53/2nd), steals (18/2nd) and minutes per recreation (32.6/2nd).
- Earlier than lacking the Oklahoma State recreation on Jan. 9, Pack had began to hit his scoring groove, scoring in double figures in 3 of 4 video games, together with a then season-high 17 factors at No. 18/19 Texas Tech (1/5/21). He has scored in double figures in 5 of the final 6 video games, in a stretch, the place he’s averaging 15.2 factors on 50 % (34-of-68) capturing, together with 43.2 % (19-of-44) from 3-point vary, with 3.3 assists, 2.8 rebounds and 1.7 steals.
- Pack ranks third within the Large 12 in 3-point discipline targets made per recreation (2.29), as he has knocked down at the least 3 triples in 6 video games, together with a season-high 8 vs. Texas A&M (1/30/21). His 32 makes simply exterior the college’s Prime 10 by a freshman, whereas his 39.5 3-point discipline purpose proportion is in on tempo to be the fourth-best by a freshman and greatest since Foster in 2013-14.
- Pack ranks second within the Large 12 with a 2.65 help/turnover ratio, whereas he’s tenth in minutes (32.6) and eleventh in assists (3.79). He’s second in minutes per recreation amongst freshmen to Cade Cunningham (33.6). He had a season-high 7 assists (with zero turnovers) towards UNLV (12/5/20).
- Pack turned the primary Wildcat true freshmen to start out the primary 12 video games of the season since Kamau Stokes began the primary 17 video games in 2015-16.
McGUIRL DOING WHATEVER IT TAKES
- Mike McGuirl is profiting from his senior season, as he’s among the many workforce leaders in practically each class, together with first in scoring (11.8 ppg.), double-digit scoring video games (12), discipline targets made (70) and tried (191), 3-point discipline targets made (38) and tried (111), assists (65) and minutes (33.6). He’s second in steals (18) and fourth in rebounding (3.5 rpg.).
- McGuirl ranks within the Prime 15 in a number of classes within the Large 12, together with thirteenth in assists (3.63 apg.), ninth in assist-turnover ratio (1.55), seventh in 3-point discipline targets made (2.11) and sixth in minutes (33.6 mpg.).
- McGuirl has led the workforce in scoring a team-best 6 occasions, whereas he has led in rebounding twice, in assists 9 occasions and in steals on 5 events.
- McGuirl’s 12 double-digit scoring video games surpassed his complete profession complete (10) that he had getting into the 2020-21 season. He opened the yr along with his first profession 20-point recreation vs. Drake on Nov. 25 with 22 factors on 8-of-15 capturing, together with 3-of-8 from 3-point vary. He equaled that mark with 22 factors vs. Fort Hays State (12/8/20). He had scored in double figures in 8 of the final 10 video games, the place he’s averaging 10.7 factors per recreation.
- Along with his scoring, McGuirl has additionally arrange his teammates, doling out a team-best 65 assists (to 42 turnovers). He has 7 video games at the least 5 assists this season, together with a career-best 8 vs. Milwaukee (12/11/20).
- Sophomore DaJuan Gordon has proved to be Okay-State’s Mr. Do The whole lot, as he’s third on the workforce in scoring at 9.3 factors per recreation, whereas main the way in which in each rebounding (5.8 rpg.) and steals (1.2 spg.). He’s additionally second in free throws made (34), tried (46) and proportion (73.9).
- Gordon is one in every of simply 2 guards (OSU’s Isaac Likekele) to rank within the Large 12’s Prime 10 in rebounding, as he locations tenth with 5.8 rebounds per recreation, whereas he’s twelfth within the league in defensive rebounds (4.28).
- Gordon’s 3 double-doubles tie 3 others (David McCormack, Kevin Samuel and Jalen Wilson) for the third-most amongst Large 12 gamers and are solely surpassed by WVU’s Derek Culver (8) and Texas’ Greg Brown (4).
- Gordon’s 3 profession double-doubles have all come within the final 12 video games, together with 2 in Large 12 play. He posted his first profession double-double within the win at Iowa State (12/15/20), scoring 15 factors and grabbing 11 rebounds. He adopted that with a 13-point, 12-rebound effort vs. Jacksonville (12/21/20) earlier than his newest double-double vs. Oklahoma State (1/9/21) with 14 factors and 11 rebounds in a career-best 39 minutes.
- Gordon has grabbed double-digit rebounds in 4 video games, together with in back-to-back contests vs. Jacksonville (12/21/20) and Omaha (12/29/20). He’s the primary Wildcat to submit double-digit rebounds in back-to-back video games since Wesley Iwundu in March 2017.
- Gordon has scored in double figures in 9 video games this season, together with a career-best 18 factors on 7-of-13 capturing vs. TCU (1/2/21). Six of these 9 double-digit scoring video games have come within the final 12 video games.
- Gordon can be the chief on the Wayne McClain Play Laborious Chart with 120 factors, which incorporates main the workforce in deflections/blocks (34), steals (23), free balls (23), offensive rebounds (28) and fees (4).
MIGUEL HITS THE GAME-WINNER
- Freshman Selton Miguel related on a 3-pointer with 9.7 seconds left to carry Okay-State to a 60-58 win over Omaha on Dec. 29. It was the rookie’s first game-winner, as he capped his 11-point effort along with his third trey of the sport.
- Miguel, a starter in 11 of the final 13 video games, is having a stable freshman marketing campaign, averaging 8.2 factors on 35 % capturing, together with 9.1 factors on 35.1 % capturing in Large 12 play. He’s fourth on the workforce in scoring and steals (14), whereas his third in 3-pointers (16).
- Miguel’s 7 double-digit scoring video games have come within the final 14 outings, together with a team-tying 17 factors at No. 18/19 Texas Tech (1/5/21). He additionally scored a season-tying 17 factors vs. Milwaukee (12/11/20) on 7-of-14 discipline targets, whereas he had 14 vs. No. 2/2 Baylor (12/19/20).
IMPRESSIVE YOUNG BIG MAN
- With sophomore Kaosi Ezeagu out for an prolonged time, freshman Davion Bradford has had a chance to show his abilities, incomes begins in every of the final 13 video games. He’s averaging 6.9 factors on a team-best 62.5 % capturing (50-of-80) with 4.1 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per recreation.
- Bradford has scored in double figures in 5 video games so far, together with scoring a season-high 18 factors vs. Milwaukee (12/11/20). He additionally performed a significant position within the win at Iowa State (12/15/20) with 14 factors on 5-of-7 discipline targets and a 4-of-4 effort from the road. He has posted double digits in 3 of the final 8 video games, together with team-high 14 factors at No. 4/4 Texas (1/16/21).
- Bradford has already proven the flexibility to complete on the rim, totaling a team-high 23 dunks, which compared surpasses Makol Mawien’s complete complete of 17 in 32 video games performed in 2019-20 season.
AGORDON STRONG OFF BENCH
- Regardless of lacking 4 video games resulting from COVID-19 protocols, sophomore Antonio Gordon has proven the flexibility to supply some scoring off the bench, as he collected a career-high 23 factors on 9-of-9 discipline targets with a team-tying 6 rebounds vs. No. 2/2 Baylor (12/19/20) in simply 21 minutes of motion.
- Gordon’s 23 factors tied for the eighth-most by reserve in a convention recreation in class historical past and have been probably the most since Marcus Foster had 23 towards TCU on Jan. 7, 2015. He additionally turned the eighth Wildcats to go 9-of-9 or higher from the sector and the primary since Dean Wade additionally went 9-of-9 at Oklahoma State on Feb. 2, 2019 and the primary at dwelling since 2002.
- As a consequence of low numbers attributable to accidents and COVID-19 protocols, Okay-State had simply 8 accessible gamers – together with 6 on scholarship – for its outing towards Oklahoma State at dwelling on Saturday, Jan. 9. To make the scenario worse, sophomore Carlton Linguard, Jr., was on a minutes’ restrict resulting from a again harm (taking part in simply over 14 minutes), whereas freshman Davion Bradford ended up taking part in simply over 12 minutes resulting from foul points.
- This brought on the remaining 6 to play the majority of the minutes, together with walk-on Joe Petrakis logging a career-high quarter-hour of motion. Senior Mike McGuirl and junior Rudi Williams every performed all 40 minutes, setting career-highs, whereas two others – sophomore DaJuan Gordon and freshmen Selton Miguel – every registered 39 minutes, additionally career-highs. All advised, these 4 gamers have been chargeable for 158 of Okay-State’s 200 complete minutes.
- McGuirl and Williams are the primary Wildcats to play all 40 minutes of a regulation recreation since Barry Brown, Jr., performed all 40 towards Baylor on March 2, 2019. It marked the primary time two teammates performed all 40 minutes in a regulation recreation in additional than 30 years since Steve Henson and LaKeith Humphrey achieved the feat towards Oklahoma State in a 69-62 win at dwelling on Feb. 5, 1989.
YOUNG JOE HAS A BIG NIGHT
- Sophomore walk-on Joe Petrakis took benefit of his alternative with simply 8 accessible gamers towards Oklahoma State on Jan. 9, outscoring freshman All-American candidate Cade Cunningham (6 factors to five factors), whereas logging a career-high quarter-hour of motion.
- Petrakis, who redshirt his first season in 2019-20 after taking part in one season at Dodge Metropolis School, scored his first profession factors with 6:13 left within the first half and completed with a career-high 6 factors on 2-of-5 discipline targets, together with his first 3-pointer, to go along with 2 rebounds.
YOUNG ‘CATS PERFORM WELL AT TECH
- Regardless of dropping an 82-71 loss at No. 18/19 Texas Tech on Jan. 5, Okay-State turned the primary workforce to eclipse 70 factors in regulation towards Texas Tech this season, together with posting the best discipline purpose proportion by a Pink Raider foe this season at 49.1 % (27-of-55) from the sector, together with 61.2 % (19-of-31) from contained in the 3-point line. Texas Tech had entered the sport, permitting a Large 12-best 56.3 factors on 37.4 % capturing.
- 4 Wildcats scored in double figures towards Texas Tech, together with a team-leading 17 factors every by freshmen Nijel Pack and Selton Miguel. Miguel tied his season-high on 6-of-12 discipline targets, together with 2-of-4 from 3-point vary, to go along with a game-high 6 assists, whereas Pack collected a season-high 17 factors on 7-of-11 capturing, together with 3-of-7 from lengthy vary. Fellow freshmen Davion Bradford and senior Mike McGuirl every added 10 factors.
MURPHY EXPECTED TO MISS SEASON
- Sophomore Montavious Murphy has elected to have what is predicted to be season-ending surgical procedure to repair his ailing knee, which has brought on him to overlook 14 video games this season. Murphy, who was the opening day starter vs. Drake (11/25/20), noticed motion in 4 video games, together with the primary 3.
- Murphy, who turned simply the fourth true freshman to start out an opener beneath Bruce Weber in 2019-20, has now missed 27 video games in his profession resulting from harm, together with the final 6 video games of his freshman season.
- Murphy had a stable freshman season in 2019-20, averaging 5.2 factors on 40.7 % capturing with 3.7 rebounds in 25.1 minutes per recreation.
UP NEXT: VS. 13/11 TEXAS TECH (12-5, 4-4 Large 12)
- Okay-State begins a 2-game homestand towards ranked opponents on Saturday afternoon, because the Wildcats welcome No. 13/11 Texas Tech (12-5, 4-4 Large 12) at 3 p.m., CT on Large 12 Now. Will probably be the second assembly after the Pink Raiders posted an 82-71 win over the Wildcats at dwelling on Jan. 5. Texas Tech will try to comb the collection for the second straight season and win back-to-back video games in Manhattan for the primary time since 2005 and 2007.